Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Jawsercize

I always knew, intellectually, that I would get old. But somehow, I think I expected to get old in the same body. Imagine my surprise at all the things that are definitely not the same. Just for starters, I am not nearly as strong, as agile, as smooth skinned, as free of chronic “conditions,” as slow to fatigue, as quick to recover, or as sound of hearing and vision as I used to be. Heck, I’m not even as tall as I used to be. 

As I’ve slowly accepted this as a fact, I've begun to take it seriously enough to do something constructive about it. My frequent walks have turned into daily, nearly compulsory, and duly “brisk” daily outings. And I’ve resumed an old habit of hefting weights at the local rec center ... which also houses the local senior center, where I attend a “sit and fit” class as part of one of my volunteer gigs. Not exactly an aerobic workout, but good range of motion exercises can’t hurt.

Still, like others in my cohort, I face a steady trickle of health-related “events” that interrupt my life. At minimum, they add another doctor or dentist or PT appointment. At worst, they cause major disruptions in work or play schedules. As I heard someone say at the rec center yesterday (it was mid-day, when a fair number of “Silver Sneakers” folks were in the weight room with me), “You’re doing fine, and then something happens …”

I assume that on some deeper level, I’ll continue to be surprised by the reality of my aging body. But for the most part, I have come to accept it.

However, I was not prepared for the jaw thing. My jaw injury/condition is the residue of a car accident over 50 years ago, compounded by aging (reduced bone mass, reduced ligament elasticity). Even retirement may have contributed: I don’t talk as much as when I was teaching. Apparently, I suffer from the lack of what the fitness teacher calls “jawsercize.” So my jaw slips out of place for no clear reason, I can’t hold the phone to my left ear because it hurts my jaw, I can’t chew a sandwich except on one side and very carefully, and I have to arrange my jaw in a very precise position to be able to sleep. Bummer.

I must say, despite many warnings about the realities of aging, no one ever warned me to take care of my jaw. 

So, off to the PT I went. (PTs are magical in my book. They actually know things that are helpful). And I came away with a series of exercises for my jaw. “I can’t change your anatomy,” the PT said, “but we can bring in some muscle groups to help.” I trust her on this. I have to. So this week, I’ve been suctioning my tongue to the roof of my mouth and then opening and closing my mouth five times. Many times a day. Basically, every time I think about it. (I just now did it again.) I have a few other exercises that I won’t bother to describe. They involve distorted positions of tongue and jaw, and are also designed to do this “bring in some muscles groups to help” thing. “Make these your new nervous habits,” she said. Like I needed new ones.

I am less confident after 5 days of this than I was when I left her, but I'm persevering nonetheless. The other option, I guess, would be to talk more.

I suppose it’s a metaphor for aging in general. Whatever it takes to maintain this fading fantasy that really, life isn’t so different now. Just like when I was young, anything that’s wrong can be fixed, good as new.

It’s just that “new” is so long ago now.



2 comments:

  1. Janis, I have just entered your blogosphere for the first time as I am down for the count with a stomach flu (actually, it was worse yesterday but I'm giving myself an extra afternoon in bed). May I say that reading you is as delightful as talking with you and I can only begin to imagine the places our conversations could go if we were hanging out. (I think that was the idea of the salon that never quite lifted off after that first year, right?) Anyway, I want to appreciate all the side trips I have taken while reading (to Margaret and Ellen, to Praises...I know benezan from my days in Oakland when reTurning came out, to Joshua Tree). All in all, a delightful journey.
    I think that I finally stopped to comment on this one because of the similar challenges I seem to face as my body wears out. I am over (mostly) the sense of monumental loss that accompanied my first steps away from an identity as an athlete, but now it is the daily humilities of moving from one soreness to another spasm to yet another restriction on the shoes that I need to wear so everything from legs to back to neck doesn't seize up! I often reflect on my observation when I was a child that all old people (I probably meant over 50) never stopped talking about their "aches and pains." Now I want to say, "Damn right we do!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you here, Sarah! This seems to be a trajectory lots of us share, the realization, first, that our bodies don't do for us what they used to do, followed too soon by the realization that their decline actually limits some aspects of our lives. I recall the same judgement of "old" people you mention - and lots of other very ageist thoughts I had. And now I want to say what I always hated "old" people's saying to me (I think this has to be said with a quavering voice to carry the full effect of what I recall hearing): "Just wait, honey, you'll be here one day."

      Delete