Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sky


One of the many things I love about Colorado is the sky. I never realized how much, until I had lived elsewhere for several years running. When we got back, I was agog at the sky. No matter what season, no matter what time of day, it’s almost always wide and lively and complicated. 

I love that you can see the air currents in how the clouds form, wispy and thin or tall and tumultuous. Sometimes, a cloud sits in front of another one of a very different sort, like pictures pasted together in a collage. Sometimes they’re bright, blinding white. Sometimes, they are dark and ominous. Sometimes, they are both at once. Sometimes they’re brilliant colors, sometimes subtle hues, and sometimes you can spot faint rainbows in the middle of a cloud. Almost always, they’re beautiful.

So I decided to collect pictures of clouds with my low-tech camera phone. (Ah, the luxury of retirement: time to take the sky's portrait. Over and over again.) Here’s a sampling from the past few days, in no particular order. Look slowly. Marvel at how different they are. Be glad for how often you've wondered about that. Or wonder why you don't wonder about that more often. Then smile.











A short photographic ode to the Colorado sky. 




3 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures, Janis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the pictures!!

    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these pictures! Maybe you've found the alternative lens to see life through??

    I just took a water color painting class 'cause I just didn't want to wait til I retired. And guess what my favorite subject to paint is? Clouds!!

    ReplyDelete